Find fun DIY projects for boats, helpful hacks and how to's and a learn about my experience as I prepare to sail away from convention and into the world of living aboard!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Beware the Internet!



There is almost no limit to how much someone can embellish and exaggerate on ads. Just let me tell you about my first horrible experience going to see a boat.

My fiance and I found an ad on craigslist for an Irwin 37. I already know what you are thinking: of course craigslist isn't that reliable and I am just another of the hundreds of craigslist horror stories. Okay, maybe "horror" is a bit of an exaggeration, but you understand what I mean.

Anyway, we found this boat. It was listed as a project boat, well loved by the last owners and in need of only some cosmetic work from old water damage. We requested some pictures and the boat looked fine in them. There was a little water damage visible on a board or two, but it looked like it was in decent shape and nothing we couldn't handle.

We went to a showing of the boat 3 hours, $30 bucks in tolls, and a tank of gas away from our home. We were probably 15 minutes early when we walked up to the boat and called out to see if anyone was aboard. A man with a burning cigarette hanging from his lips sticks his head out the hatch to greet us. I don't really have anything against cigarettes per say, but being in an enclosed area talking about a possible $10,000 deal is not a place I would suggest smoking. 

Anyway, we get into the boat, where we find that we interrupted them wiping the mold off the ceilings and walls. Apparently "a little old water damage" was not so little and not so old. We could stick our fingers through almost every piece of wood on the boat. Between the mold and the cigarettes, it turned my stomach to even breath. When I asked questions about the appliances, water system and engine, I was told that they worked the last time they were used...at an undisclosed time...too long ago to remember. 

Apparently, a little bit of cosmetic work means "NEEDS GUTTING, its possible that some stuff might still work. Have fun finding out!"

Needless to say, the first stop on our hunt for our dream boat was not so dreamy. Beware the internet!! 



**Picture provided by: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/34/5d/ee/345dee41dcd7b1a2efd45ae9b8dd9f35.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I'm so sorry to hear about this dreadful experience! Thanks for sharing your story - consider your warning heeded. Better luck as you continue your search for your new home!

    ReplyDelete