Find fun DIY projects for boats, helpful hacks and how to's and a learn about my experience as I prepare to sail away from convention and into the world of living aboard!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

4 Reasons To Live Aboard

When I say that I plan on living on a boat, the most common reaction is, "ARE YOU CRAZY?"

My answer most of the time is to say yes, I have always been a little crazy. But honestly, there are a lot of exciting reasons to living aboard. Here are 4:

#1: LIVING SIMPLY
I don't think that most people understand this one. The point of possessions is to make you more comfortable, but I find that possessions end up weighing you down (and this is coming from a natural-born hoarder mind you).

I spent two summers in high school working at a camp in New Hampshire. During that time I lived in a cabin with 21 girls. The only space I had for my things were two small cubbies, a small shelf by my bunk and the space under my matress that I could keep my clothes. I stayed at camp for almost three months and never needed more space than I had. I had the essentials and never missed all my stuff which barely fit in my room.

I want to live like this again. As Americans we have too many possessions that just clutter our space and weigh us down. And you need a light load to be able to sail away to where the wind wants to take you ;)

#2: AT HOME ACTIVITIES
Sam (my fiance) and I are introverted for the most part (a common side effect to years of homeschooling I guess). We like to spend a lot of time just the two of us and do things at home.
Living aboard sounds perfect for us. I can just see us fishing off the side of our home on an early Saturday morning or after work. Or maybe we could sail down the coast for a few days together and see the sights--without all the packing and cramped car rides. Or we could just go for an afternoon picnic on the deck, by the Statue of Liberty. Possibilities are endless...

#3: BUILT-IN OCEAN VIEW VACATIONS
I kind of already mentioned this in the last point, but vacations are going to be spectacular! Imagine being able to sail away when ever you want.  Yes, we still have responsibilities that will tie us down, but we are young and I guarentee you our home will not always be tied down ;) My dream is to save up enough money to be able to sail away for a few months.  We'll have to wait and see when that can happen...

#4: SAVES MONEY
Okay,  this one I have to admit is not true for everyone. If all goes according to plan, Sam and I will be at a nice marina across the water from NYC. It's going to cost us around $700-$800 in housing expenses per month (or should I say boating expenses?). A one bedroom apartment in NJ averages around $1500/month. We will also save money on small things like electricity and water.
Expenses can really go either way. There are as lot of factors: size of your boat, amenities, location...ect. Be sure to keep these in mind if you are thinking about living aboard.

Comment the reasons why you would want to or chose to live aboard!!!

9 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I would want to live aboard so I could sail to various places whenever I wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post! I enjoy reading each of your posts. They are very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of ideas in this post that I would also use in my own small NY apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm considering living on a boat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's genius. As long as you pay attention to the weather and whatnot it sounds smart. Live small, live well, save, and invest. One day you'll have a whole fleet of them! Way to think outside the box (y "box" I mean "house")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ;) I'm in...how shall we say...the same boat, since I'm joining the Navy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting! Good luck to you, Gabe! A couple of my future brother-in-laws are in the Navy Reserves.

      Delete
  7. I believe in you Lauren....you and Sam are two of my favorite people and I look forward to seeing the adventures you will have together! Invite us when you "christen" your first home!

    ReplyDelete